www.recumbents.com - Single Bong 20K
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 HPV Racing
 Single Bong 20K
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2007 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  18:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am planning to do the Bong in the fully faired Swift on Sunday Morning. Anybody else going?

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  20:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am doing Colavita/Zipp Ky Speedway 10 mile tt in the fully faired Coslinger Special. Good luck, Sean.
Go to Top of Page

delcrossv
recumbent guru

Vanuatu
815 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  06:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there with Florian on the M5 and Cecilia on the Sunset. I'll be shadowing Ceci, getting there around 8:30-ish.
Is it better to ride the shoulder on 142 or ride in the lane?

Edited by - delcrossv on 05/03/2013 07:00:16
Go to Top of Page

jeffp
Starting Member

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  10:38:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be there on a partially faired P5(6) ;)
Go to Top of Page

jeffp
Starting Member

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  11:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the shoulder on 142 is usually pretty good, unless it is full of debris from winter, which after the rainy spring there, I highly doubt is the case.

FYI the 3rd leg was partially repaved so much nicer than days of old
quote:
Originally posted by delcrossv

I'll be there with Florian on the M5 and Cecilia on the Sunset. I'll be shadowing Ceci, getting there around 8:30-ish.
Is it better to ride the shoulder on 142 or ride in the lane?

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6462 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  11:25:15  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a great course for a streamliner.
The weather looks ok. 60-ish temps, partly cloudy, 11MPH winds... I'll try to make it!
The Cuda is not put together, so I will bring the 'ole NoCom.

Just ride on the side of the lane where there is no debris. Traffic will be low.

Edited by - warren on 05/03/2013 11:28:17
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  14:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sean, are you self launching? If so, how? I made a wooden gadget that holds my liner up from the left side. Once in, I stick it in my bibs and hand launch. Once moving I pull the canopy shut and bungee it. Reverse the process to stop and get out. I have been using it all week. Works great. Today I tried hard to get my drivetrain to screw up. Bumps, turns, and crazy ****ing with no problems. I was hitting a consistant 37 mph on my .5 mile, arching straight with the canopy before running out of road. Sunday should be fun. You should come down and kick the carp out of me.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3864 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  16:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffp

I will be there on a partially faired P5(6) ;)

What does this look like?! I assume its the world's best TT bike, the Cervelo P5 with a partial fairing!? Pictures please!
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  17:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Jeff, post up!
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2007 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  19:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My landing gear is still an idea. I want to use rodless air cyliders with liter bottle air reservoir.

I have my friend Dan who helped me build the bike launch chase and catch.

Good luck Thom. Send a pic of the launching thing.

Sean

Edited by - sean costin on 05/03/2013 19:06:40
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  06:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picture emailed.

Somebody please post results asap.
Go to Top of Page

jeffp
Starting Member

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  12:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Yeah Jeff, post up!



just a p5-6, ie not uci legal, with the silly headtube fairings coverin gthe front brake :) it was a joke

Sean was the fastest man today(by 16sec), my power still sucked and I had a wee bit of SVT, worse was for 1:07 on the uphill on the homestretch at an HR of 238. I TT at 178 max at end of a TT normally.

I was 20 sec up at turn 1 vs last year with decent power and HR then HR started staying in the 180s and power dropped 10%
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  13:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We raced in 55 degree, windy, solid rain. Miserable! Pumping losses from the standing water seemed to slam my brakes on at 34mph. My 19:41 for 10(+ my high line) was fastest by 2:20. Nobody set any records today! Mike went 23 and change. Miserable! Thank goodness we were allowed in the pit garages.
Go to Top of Page

jeffp
Starting Member

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  13:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Picture emailed.

Somebody please post results asap.



results are up on ABR website
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2539 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  14:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe move Kentucky speedway discussions to the other thread so as not to mix things up.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

delcrossv
recumbent guru

Vanuatu
815 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  18:16:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only 3 'bents/HPV's at Bong today:

Sean 24:36.31

Two first timers:

Florian 35:07.02 (14 y.o.)

Cecilia 45:34.75 (10 y.o.)

Complete results here (Ignore the 2012 heading):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqihcc5RZmrSdG1IMm9VeTZQMGlMSm5XeWhUbkp1ZVE&usp=sharing#gid=0

Had a fun time shadowing Cecilia, Florian passed 4 before he finished, Sean did a shadow with his son before he took out the 'liner. Kids definitely want to do more of them! Good times!

Missed 'ya Warren!

Edited by - delcrossv on 05/05/2013 19:10:33
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2007 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  19:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
Unbelievable result today for you. I don't know how you do it. I don't know why you only do time trials because I imagine you would be killing it at many other races if you chose to do that. Regardless, all I can say is that I am totally humbled by how fast you are going on this course.

Here's my story,

I had a messed up start. I was at the line with 2 minutes to go and I realized I only had 80 lbs in my front tire so I sent my friend Dan to grab my tool box with the disk inflator extension, only it wasn't in the tool box, it was still on my pump so Dan had to run back again to the truck to get the pump. We pump it up. As I am getting in the bike, My time to start arrives. I'm not ready to go and Dan cant get the cradle off the bottom of the bike. Time ticks away. 15 seconds lost at the start

I don't have time to close the straps on the top since this takes 30 seconds when the bike is completely still and doing them while riding would be like tying your shoes one handed while skipping rope so I widened up my shoulders and tried to hold it down the best I could with my shoulders. I still have one shoe clip that is not going in. My shoe slips from the cleat and knocks the front of the top off and I have to lift it carefully back into place on the locating pins while riding. Finally I'm clipped and building speed.

I shoot up to about 45 on a descent and the wind is playing with me. Some cars pass. I'm riding the middle to right track of the lane with a wide shoulder. just after settling in the first turn approaches. I have to slow to about 25 maybe less. I make it ok with just slight rubbing of tires on the fairing. Big relief.

Next leg is bumpy and rolling with a tail wind. The bike gets jostled at speeds over 40 and the top is bouncing like hell on the bumps. Going much faster seems like trouble. I am feeling like a god. Passing guys like they are spectators. This was sheer exhilaration, fear and some effort. I slow down to 20. I get a wide sweep for the 3rd leg and into the crosswind. I try to accelerate, but the bike is 50 lbs and its uphill and I have no momentum. Still bumpy. I do my best to hammer hard, but more uphill and jostling winds. I get though ok and the road gets better. Turn three arrives and I sweep wide get great visual support from the flaging officials who make it clear that the road is clear through the turn. I still slow down to 20 or so because I fear that if I wipe out in the turn I'll slide into the lane of oncoming traffic. I hit few undulations in the turn and I'm down and sliding. Fortunately not very far.

I pop out easily in the crash since I never strapped on the top and the bike took all the road rash. Chain didn't even fall off. My friend Dan who was following in the truck is quick on the scene and we do a launch. Unfortunately this goes poorly and we have to do it again. The second launch works and I'm going uphill trying to build momentum. I thing we lost 3 minutes. The last stretch was strong headwind, mostly uphill and tough going to build speed. I pushed as hard as I can.

Dan pulled ahead to do a catch. Unfortunately he's standing about 20 feet past the finish line, so I have to hit the brakes before the finish line so that I don't knock him over.

I crashed because the fairing on my front wheel touched the ground as I leaned into the turn and lifted the front wheel.

Here is the evidence:


All in all it was a great day. I got to ride right behind Jonathan through his TT. He said it was hard but fun. He collapsed in exhaustion afterward. It seems to me that he got it right. I am very proud of him. He got beat by 30 seconds from his friend Peter Swinand but it didn't seem to bother him at all because he laid it all out there.

Fran Kowalik brought out his son Florian in Brian Stevens former low racer and his daughter Ceci in a Sunset. They both did really well.

Jonathan 41:48,
Florian 35:07
Ceci 45:34

me 24:36



Daddy got to have some fun too. There is a video Dan took from his Iphone during the 2nd leg that is pretty good. Once he edits out the swear words we're going to get up on on Youtube.


Go to Top of Page

jeffp
Starting Member

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  19:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I dont only do TTs, but they are safest and I still have kids to tend to every other weekend. Plus, I zilch fast twitch muscle. I did a crit in early aril, no turn crit, had SVT there as well when i was off teh front and another guy caught me. couldnt hold on until 2 more came by and SVT had become normal rythm again. Plus I am getting old and broken bones wont heal so fast :) i was 35w under target today, not on first leg where i hit target nicely(370) and was 23 sec ahead of last years pace. it was downhill from there

That it an epic race report, yeesh!!!

quote:
Originally posted by sean costin

Jeff,
Unbelievable result today for you. I don't know how you do it. I don't know why you only do time trials because I imagine you would be killing it at many other races if you chose to do that. Regardless, all I can say is that I am totally humbled by how fast you are going on this course.

Here's my story,

I had a messed up start. I was at the line with 2 minutes to go and I realized I only had 80 lbs in my front tire so I sent my friend Dan to grab my tool box with the disk inflator extension, only it wasn't in the tool box, it was still on my pump so Dan had to run back again to the truck to get the pump. We pump it up. As I am getting in the bike, My time to start arrives. I'm not ready to go and Dan cant get the cradle off the bottom of the bike. Time ticks away. 15 seconds lost at the start

I don't have time to close the straps on the top since this takes 30 seconds when the bike is completely still and doing them while riding would be like tying your shoes one handed while skipping rope so I widened up my shoulders and tried to hold it down the best I could with my shoulders. I still have one shoe clip that is not going in. My shoe slips from the cleat and knocks the front of the top off and I have to lift it carefully back into place on the locating pins while riding. Finally I'm clipped and building speed.

I shoot up to about 45 on a descent and the wind is playing with me. Some cars pass. I'm riding the middle to right track of the lane with a wide shoulder. just after settling in the first turn approaches. I have to slow to about 25 maybe less. I make it ok with just slight rubbing of tires on the fairing. Big relief.

Next leg is bumpy and rolling with a tail wind. The bike gets jostled at speeds over 40 and the top is bouncing like hell on the bumps. Going much faster seems like trouble. I am feeling like a god. Passing guys like they are spectators. This was sheer exhilaration, fear and some effort. I slow down to 20. I get a wide sweep for the 3rd leg and into the crosswind. I try to accelerate, but the bike is 50 lbs and its uphill and I have no momentum. Still bumpy. I do my best to hammer hard, but more uphill and jostling winds. I get though ok and the road gets better. Turn three arrives and I sweep wide get great visual support from the flaging officials who make it clear that the road is clear through the turn. I still slow down to 20 or so because I fear that if I wipe out in the turn I'll slide into the lane of oncoming traffic. I hit few undulations in the turn and I'm down and sliding. Fortunately not very far.

I pop out easily in the crash since I never strapped on the top and the bike took all the road rash. Chain didn't even fall off. My friend Dan who was following in the truck is quick on the scene and we do a launch. Unfortunately this goes poorly and we have to do it again. The second launch works and I'm going uphill trying to build momentum. I thing we lost 3 minutes. The last stretch was strong headwind, mostly uphill and tough going to build speed. I pushed as hard as I can.

Dan pulled ahead to do a catch. Unfortunately he's standing about 20 feet past the finish line, so I have to hit the brakes before the finish line so that I don't knock him over.

I crashed because the fairing on my front wheel touched the ground as I leaned into the turn and lifted the front wheel.

Here is the evidence:


All in all it was a great day. I got to ride right behind Jonathan through his TT. He said it was hard but fun. He collapsed in exhaustion afterward. It seems to me that he got it right. I am very proud of him. He got beat by 30 seconds from his friend Peter Swinand but it didn't seem to bother him at all because he laid it all out there.

Fran Kowalik brought out his son Florian in Brian Stevens former low racer and his daughter Ceci in a Sunset. They both did really well.

Jonathan 41:48,
Florian 35:07
Ceci 45:34

me 24:36



Daddy got to have some fun too. There is a video Dan took from his Iphone during the 2nd leg that is pretty good. Once he edits out the swear words we're going to get up on on Youtube.




Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6462 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  06:36:36  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Sean, sorry to hear about the bad start and crash. First time out with the bike on a road course though, so I guess that is par for the course. it's a good warm-up for Waterford. Sorry to miss everyone, my plan to attend got vetoed. I ended up going for a nice long ride in the afternoon instead.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3864 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  05:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dang Sean, even with all your crashin, bumpin and grindin, you would have still beat me my best lowracer recumbent 20K time by ONE SECOND. Below is the pict of my speedo after I coasted to a stop on the 51st lap at Northbrook. The distance I travelled (12.42 miles) worked out to be almost exactly a 20K at a 30.3 mph average. If you hadn't twisted your chain off at the start before catching back up, we might have gone 31 mph that day!

Of course - Northbrook is a smooth circle, and flat. I am totally in awe of Jeff's time at the Bong, as well as the 49 minute something he did on the full 40K Double Bong. I drove around that course, it did not seem that fast to me with the uphill section 3 (?). My best 20K on the road with the lowracer is a 25:19 (29.44 mph) on an out n back course with a few rollers in the Michigan State 20K. I won by over a minute with the 4th fastest time in state history. Nathaniel Williams, Bissell Pro team member went 24:56 a few years back in good weather. I did my run in the rain. And I did 52:22 around Grand St. Mary's lake for roughly a 40K distance with Speedbiker Thom at the Colavita Zipp TT last year.


Edited by - Upright Mike on 05/07/2013 05:30:49
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2007 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  19:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chase car video of The Swift from the TT

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201263204120986&set=vb.1198408672&type=2&theater
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  21:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rats, it won't work. Possibly my phone.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2539 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  21:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't work on a laptop, either.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

OpusthePoet
recumbent guru

USA
678 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  17:08:58  Show Profile  Visit OpusthePoet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Listed as unavailable on my computer.

Opus

My gas is up to $0.99 a burrito, $5.99 for premium and I'm only getting 10 miles to the regular burrito. Dang $0.99 burritos are smaller now.
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2007 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  19:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it work now?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201263204120986
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3864 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  20:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It still says: This content is currently unavailable. I don't know if it matters if you are logged into facebook or not.

Edited by - Upright Mike on 05/09/2013 20:26:41
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000