www.recumbents.com - The BIKE E: How GOOD or BAD is this recumbent?
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 General Topics
 The BIKE E: How GOOD or BAD is this recumbent?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

timacn
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2019 :  12:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello. I have an old Bike E in my garage that I haven't ridden in years. (I have the replacement seat sliders that prompted a recall back in the day, but never put them on). I am thinking about getting into recumbent biking and I'm wondering how the Bike E is being viewed these days. Is it a respectable machine or flawed and poorly regarded? Thanks for your help.

warren
human power expert

USA
6462 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2019 :  14:06:49  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you are just going to be cruising around your neighborhood and aren't a tall person it's fine.
Go to Top of Page

Joel DIckman
recumbent enthusiast

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  10:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Joel DIckman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you used the thing and remember what it was like, your own feelings about it are what really matters. Is the bike GOOD or BAD? You decide. Who cares what somebody else thinks?

The Bike E was intended as an easy-to-ride (hence the E for easy) and relatively inexpensive recumbent bike. I think the company ran into both legal and financial problems with safety recalls and fighting with Giant Bicycles, the outfit that made the frames. They went out of business sometime in the early 2000s.

I never liked the seat. On a recumbent bike, seat comfort (or lack thereof) is a big deal. But if it feels good to you, my opinion does not matter. The Bike E had pretty docile low speed handling, which is nice. The fairly erect seating position and seat height made it good for city riding, with decent visibility.

You already have it. Why not pump up the tires, lube the chain, and give it a whirl? What do you have to lose?

Safe riding,
Joel Dickman
http://lightningriders.com

These three prevent most accidents: seeing, being seen, & (usually) common sense.

Edited by - Joel DIckman on 09/14/2019 21:00:22
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3493 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  15:55:13  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fix it and ride it, then you can decide on upgrading.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Piranha
recumbent enthusiast

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  22:37:35  Show Profile  Visit Piranha's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bike E's are fun to ride, easy to adjust for multiple riders and easy to learn on. For long rides, you may not find the seat as comfortable as a more expensive recumbent.

Dan G.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000